My beloved business partner and I have coined the phrase “Shawshank Syndrome”. It refers to any movie that comes on the TV that you cannot pull yourself away from no matter how many times you’ve seen it. No matter if it is on a station with commercials. No matter if it’s on Comedy Central who takes more commercial breaks than any other station. The point is, if it’s on, you’re watching and ain’t nothing else getting in your way.
Biz Partner – “did you get those bids over to the Realtor today?”
Me – “Not yet. I got Shawshanked by “Executive Decision”.
Biz Partner – (Shaking his head) “Christ…again???”
Me – “I was hoping Steven Segal actually made it to the plane this time”
Biz Partner – “You know he dies. Just like Goose. Goose always dies”
Me – “I need to watch Top Gun. He might make it this time”.
Here’s my top ten:
1. The Shawshank Redemption
2. Any “Meet the Parents” movie
3. Bad Boys I or II
4. The Fast and the Furious or 2 Fast 2 Furious
5. The Birdcage
6. Escape From Alcatraz (sonofabitch stopped me twice the week)
7. Any early Adam Sandler movie (Billy Madison, Happy Gilmore, The Wedding Singer)
9. Any Nic Cage Movie (Any! ’nuff said?)
10. Ocean’s 11, 12 or 13
There are about 20 others that deserve to be on the list. What are your’s?